End of Year Show, Animal Boogie 2012

This year our end of year show was coincided with a trans disciplinary unit "Animal Kingdom". In our unit we inquired about different type of animals (farm/pets/wild/underwater) and their environments. For the show we decided to show our knowledge through an integrated art performance. We have four Pre-K classes in my grade level and each class chose different type of animals to perform about. My class had WIDE animals. For our drama and dance class we were working on Animal Boogie Song which  my students liked very much. After we made up our minds about choosing this song for the end of year show (I really enjoy voting with my little people in order to make fair decisions),  my little people started to worry how they would look like these wide animals. I asked them to draw costumes they would love to wear. We discussed which materials we might use and were available.The class took an active part in creating costumes for their animals; leopards patterned yellow t-shirts with black dots by using textile marker and they enjoyed making tails by filling ladies stockings with newspaper), birds made beautiful wings by cutting and sticking triangles, elephants were busy making ears and body parts (one child was so worried that no one would understand that he was an elephant, so he asked me to help him writing "I am an elephant" on the front part of the costume), snakes used fabric available in the classroom and one boy decided to be a cobra, so he chose black t-shirt and a piece of black fabric to cover his head), monkeys used yarn to make themselves look hairy, bears chose brown paper to make bodies and little ears. My students were super busy and they enjoyed the process! They were even more happy when I said that they could take their self-made costumes home:)
Have a great summer!


waiting for their turn



a monkey+a bear= WILD!

Comments